Enhancing Your Home's Curb Appeal
September 12, 2012
Have you examined your home's curb appeal recently? Whether you're planning to put your home on the market or you simply want to get more enjoyment from it, the exterior of your home may benefit from a simple make-over.Put on a pair of fresh eyes and step outside to see your home's exterior from a new perspective. Here's what to look for:
- Does your home need painting?
- Could your windows benefit from a thorough cleaning, both inside and out?
- What about window screens? Are they missing or barely hanging on? Do they have holes?
- How thoroughly do you mow your lawn? Have you simply mowed around objects in the yard instead of removing them to mow under? Do you leave grass clippings all over the concrete areas and in the street?
- When was the last time you edged your sidewalks and driveways for a neat, clean-line appearance?
- Is your landscaping alive and thriving, or is it dying and disastrous? Replace old mulch, weed flower beds, trim shrubs, plant flowers and remove the dead stuff.
- Could your fence stand repainting? Do the panels or gates need to be repaired or replaced?
- Are your house numbers visible from the street and/or the curb?
- Are your trash and recycle containers sitting on the driveway? If yes, move them out of sight.
- What does the area around your front porch look like? Are there old newspapers on the ground? Wilted flowers in pot? Broken toys? Dead bugs? A broom can work miracles to remove debris and hanging cobwebs.
- Is your front yard a gathering spot for kids' toys, bikes and other kid-friendly gadgets? Move them into the garage or the back yard.
- Do your exterior lights work? Is your front porch light broken?