Gear Up for a Fabulous Fall!
September 24, 2021
Autumn is just around the corner, and it’s time to break out the sweaters and all things pumpkin. Finally!
As the days cool down (hopefully), we all tend to spend a little more time inside our homes. So, show off your Ideal home and choose from the many fall décor trends that will help bring autumn into your home. Decorating your home for each season is a great way to welcome weather changes and make your home feel festive.
Fall just screams for pumpkins and gourds. Either real or faux, orange or white or even blue! And we’ve seen some great decorated pumpkins in black-and-white checks, chevrons, and stripes. Your imagination is your only limit.
Ideal Colors: When it comes to trendy fall décor, color is everything.
- Earthy tones. Neutral is never out of style. Green, brown, cream and ivory will add a natural vibe to any room and bring the outdoors in.
- Blush. Blush is better than ever. This pale rosy hue is the perfect accent color for any neutral home.
- Terracotta. Looking for a traditional fall feeling? Warm shades of red, orange and brown will create a cozy atmosphere perfect for fall weather.
- Rich, saturated colors. Add a splash of something rich and saturated to add a focal point. Look for deep red, blue, green, yellow and orange.
Ideal Textures: Feel free to mix textures and patterns to express your unique autumn style. Have fun mixing and matching some of these textures and finishes.
- Velvet. Simply timeless. Adding a velvet pillow is the perfect way to bring in something plush and luxurious.
- Tarnish. Perfectly imperfect, this distressed, unfinished look is coming back. It works for furniture or décor and is easy to create yourself.
- Wicker, rattan and cane. Simple and airy, these elements work well with either bold or neutrals, and they speak “unique.”
- Brushed brass and gold. These deep, rich colors keep the warmth in your home.
- Candles. If you want a warm atmosphere inside, light a candle. Or candles. Earthy scents that smell like fall bring the outdoors in. And if you can’t use a real candle, consider battery-operated tealights and pillars. You may not get the smell, but you’ll definitely have that warm fall glow. And potpourri can help with autumn scents.
- Macrame. Yes, macramé is still alive and in style. Decorate your walls with hanging macramé décor or experiment with macramé details on furniture and other key pieces for a natural, classic look.
- Chunky knit blankets. Blankets and throws create a cozy look and can add a pop of color to your room. Choose a chunky knit that complements the area to tie your room together. Texture is good!
- Natural elements. Use natural materials to decorate your home and bring the outdoors inside. Houseplants are great additions, but don’t forget you can use branches, leaves, dried flowers, and so much more.
- Baskets and trays. Add hanging baskets and trays to your walls to incorporate different textures to an existing gallery wall. And those mini pumpkins or apples will look great in a small woven basket placed next to a loose shock of wheat.
At Ideal Homes & Neighborhoods, we’re all about building a house with curb appeal. So, start by adding a fall front porch to create the ultimate welcome for all your neighbors, friends, and family. There’s as much potential as you have imagination for outdoor decorating. If you want simple, just hang a pretty fall wreath to spruce up your front door. You can stack pumpkins for a classic fall touch that packs a little more punch. Whatever you do, think pumpkins (in one or many colors) and add a few extras like gourds, mums, hay bales, cornstalks and more.
You can use the real McCoy as far as decorations go, or you can head to your local hobby store to find great realistic artificial pumpkins and gourds to reuse for several years. Whichever you choose, make your porch the envy of the neighborhood!
In addition to traditional pumpkins and gourds, here are a few more ideas for your outdoor fall décor:
- Lanterns. Lanterns outside your home haves a traditional look that adds warmth. Try tarnished or rusted-looking lanterns to go country chic.
- Garland. Garland isn’t just for Christmas! Create your own fall garland using fall colors, leaves and branches; drape it over your porch railing or door.
- Greens. You don’t just have to stick with fall colors. Adding green and blue to your outdoor décor is becoming more and more popular. Green and white faux pumpkins and gourds will change up a traditional design.
- Pillows. If you have chairs or swings on your porch, use them to your decorating advantage! A few fall-colored pillows in the corners will bring on autumn in a hurry.
Be sure to drive through your Ideal Homes neighborhood to see what’s happening with porches and yards. You’re sure to find some great decorations and ideas for your own place. Happy fall!