Celebrate MLK Jr. Day
January 11, 2022
You can join Oklahoma City and nearby metro areas at several special events to honor the life and accomplishments of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The federal holiday will be observed Monday, Jan. 17. Dr. King has a special tie to Oklahoma City visiting Cavalry Baptist Church in both 1953 after seminary and in 1960 during a Civil Rights rally and boycott.
We’ve compiled a short list of parades and celebrations in his honor, courtesy of our friends at Metro Family Magazine.
Join in an event to honor Dr. King’s legacy and impact in Civil Rights history.
•Celebrate in downtown OKC
Oklahoma City hosts the third largest parade in Dr. King’s honor. Free activities include a silent march, bell ringing, holiday program, parade and job fair. The 2022 theme is “Resilient and Relentless.” To pre-register or for more details, visit okcmlkcoalition.org.
- Job fair: 9 a.m., Douglass High School, 900 N. Martin Luther King Ave., Oklahoma City 73117
- Opening ceremony and silent march: 9:45 a.m., Freedom Center to Oklahoma History Center, Oklahoma City. The silent march is held in the style of early civil rights movement marches.
- Bell ringing: 11 a.m., Oklahoma History Center, 800 Nazih Zuhdi Dr., Oklahoma City 73105
- Holiday program: 12:15 p.m., St. Paul’s Episcopal Cathedral, 127 NW 7th St., Oklahoma City 73102
- Parade: 2 p.m., Downtown, 600 N. Walker Ave., Oklahoma City 73102
•Celebrate at the Myriad Gardens
301 W. Reno Ave.
A morning of live performances and crafts with local black artists and speakers will feature their work in honor of Dr. King’s history message. Free.
•Celebrate with the Norman Philharmonic
McFarlin Memorial United Methodist Church
419 S. University Blvd., Norman 73069
For more information, visit normanphil.com/season
A special performance to honor the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Adults, $15; kids 16 & under, $7
•Celebrate in Stillwater
Free celebrations will be held in Stillwater featuring speakers and a unity march. For more information, visit Stillwater Public Library.
MLK Day Celebration - Sunday, Jan. 16
7 p.m. at the Stillwater Community Center
Unity March - Monday, Jan. 17
1 p.m. at Southern Woods Park
March will end at OSU Spears School of Business
March the entire route or join anywhere along the path